Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Our Family... and made in the USA

Recently, Katies car experienced a problem that required that it be towed to a Chevy dealership to have some repairs done on it. It turned out that there was a design defect with the plug wires and a recall was issued. Fortunately because of the recall, it meant that the car was in the shop for a couple days. Carol and I were so glad that we were able to loan the kids the Honda CRV so Katie had some wheels until her car was repaired. That's what family is for, right? Though we didn't really get a chance to take Russ out to dinner for his birthday, we were so glad that we were able to present him with a gift and a birthday cake. Though Russ is not a blood relative, he is a very important part of our family.

Carol's dad passed away just about 6 years ago, but he is always here in our hearts, and also part of our home. Yes, we have our family pictures, Calvin included in those, but we also have a couple of tools of Calvins as well. When dad moved in with us while we were still living in the house in Pioneer, dad gave me a PVC pipe cutter. I've used this tool just this last week as we were setting up the sprinkler system in the yard. It's one of those rare tools that when we moved from one house to the other, and even down sized to the motorhome, I saw it as a tool, that I might just need. It will probably be a tool that I will keep as long as I have a need for tools.


Other things of Calvin's that I we keep and still use on a regular basis are a flashlight and gloves. We use the flashlight when ever I'm working outside at night and need light. The gloves, I use when ever I need tougher hands, especially when I'm hooking up the tow bar between the CRV and the motorhome.



Carol's mom is always with us as well. One of the important things in our motorhome is pictures of family. There is a picture of Carol's mom also in our Motorhome along with Pictures of my own paretns as well. All of our parents were so important in forming the persons that we become. My mom, would always be a fighter. Though her scoliosis shaped her, it didn't define her. I think it is those qualities in her, that make me the patient but persistant person that I am. My dad, was also a very generous person. I'll never forget the story about how when Karen was in the 'Americanettes' in southern California in the 60's; the director of that group ran off with the money from the organization that was going to be used to pay for the girls to go to the State championships. Well, my dad got a bank loan to pay for the girls to go to that competition. That is what has always shaped my desire to volunteer.

Speaking of Karen, she and my wonderful brother-in-law Mike are heading off to Austrailia for yet another RV trip. We so look forward to following them as they embark on this new adventure. You can find a link to their blog below!

Karen and Mikes return to Austrailia

Lastly, Carol and I have been on a mission lately to try and buy anything made in the USA that we can. Recently, we both bought shoes and socks from a New Balance factory store in Vacaville. All of them are made in the USA. Not all of New Balances products are made in the USA. However, if you look, you'll find that about 40 percent of their product line is made in the USA. We also found a place in Kentucky where mens T-shirts are made. They make their products for the United States Armed forces!



Happy campiing! - Eric and Carol -

No comments: