Monday, January 14, 2013

Doing the final preparation for our trip to Quartzsite!

Hi there everyone,

This continued as the second busy weekend in a row for us as we get ready for our trip to Quartzsite. The list of completed tasks included: Washing the Motorhome and the two cars, as long as I had the wash gear out! Checking the fluids on the diesel as well as on the generator to make sure they are all ready to go! I also checked the chassis batteries on the motorhome as well as the batteries (and other fluids) on the two cars while I was at it. Wanting to put on our best “show” I also put tire dressing on the motorhome as well as the two cars.

Since we are going to be out in the middle of no-where for a few days, I took the opportunity to purge the bays of stuff that we haven’t used in a while. With our new found space, I placed on board the extra dog food as well as bottled water and other beverages. Doing this work in the bay also gave me the perfect opportunity to re-organize the bays a little bit. My tool bay had gotten a little out of control lately and this was the perfect time to take things out of there that I probably wouldn’t use on the trip that would help to lighten our load!

In preparing for our trip, I wanted to drain the fresh water tank and re-fill it. I was looking for the fresh water dump valve, and if it had been a snake, it would have bitten me. But in my search for the valve, I opened up the cover to back of the water tank and the furnace. Though I didn't find the valve there, I did find that there was a hole in a heater duct. So, I sealed that up and closed things up. In the picture below, from the top, traveling clock wise. The Heater, the black water tank, the fresh water tank and the grey water tank.















Something else I worked on this weekend was to fix a design flaw in the computer desk. One of the things about the way I designed the computer desk originally, was the fact that I had the air duct feeding towards the front of the motorhome. Well, the problem with the location was the fact that it was also a great location for one of our dog beds. The problem with that is, it would block the air duct. So, I moved the duct around to underneith the desk so it would blow the warm air into the middle of the motorhome instead of the dog bed.














Even through it is winter, the last week or so has been dry. And, the forecast is for dry weather for the next week or so. Knowing this, I thought, I better check out the sprinkler system around the site and get things back in working order so that the lawn will get a little moisture while we are gone. So, I replaced a riser and a sprinkler and then gave the system a test run just to make sure everything was in working order.

The last couple nights have been especially cold, so I made a insulating pillow to wrap around our pressure regulator so that it won’t freeze when the temperatures dip down into the 20’s as they have been reported to at night.

Though Carol is fighting a cold the last few days or so, she was busy pruning the rose bushes as well as cleaning the bath room and balancing the check book.















Though we were very busy this weekend, we none the less got the opportunity to spend some quality time with each other and of course the dogs. We love this time of year, ‘cause this is when our favorite show ‘Pit Bulls and Parolees’ is on. We love seeing the stories about the dogs and the guys, who are given chances at new, fulfilling lives!

Speaking of Pit Bulls, Charlie continues to be a wonderful addition to our family. None of the pictures below are posed. Charlie just finds comfort in just about any position.















Well, that's all for now! Hopefully, we’ll see you all in Quartzsite!

Happy Camping! Eric and Carol

No comments: