Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Sacrmento 9-11 memorial











Carol and I started this weekend with a trip out to Sacramento to see the an RV show at Cal Expo. There were a few nice class A motor homes out there, but the vast majority of the rigs were towables such as Travel trailers and Fifth wheels. Only about 1 Percent of the rigs there were Diesel class A motor homes. As a result, we didn't spend much time at the RV show.
Once we were done checking out the motorhomes, we went to check out the new September 11th exhibit at Cal Expo. This is a permanent exhibit, but you can only get to it when events are going on at Cal Expo. Carol and I were both very moved when we entered into the exhibit. There is this massive (3 foot in diameter) granite ball with the names of all who perished that day as a result of the terrorist attacks. There were numerous other items on display as part of this exhibit. There are parts of an I beam that came from the world trade center.
This is a very special place for us. Carol, Katie and I were fortunate enough to visit New York and theWorld Trade Center, in 1999. Carol commented how those I beams at onetime, in a way, supported our weightas we were checking out those buildings back 10 years ago.
The other thing that touched us back that horrible day was that the flight that we took home from NewYork when we visited just two years earlier was Flight 93. That is the flight on 9/11/2001 that the famous term "Let's Roll" was coined as those onboard during the hijacking decided to fight back!
We encourage everyone who passes through this area, to check it out.
Carol and I were both deeply affected when we walked into the exhibit.

1 comment:

Jim and Sandie said...

I didn't realize that Sacramento had put up this memorial. I will definitely put this on places I really want to see. The memorial at the Pentagon was very moving. We just never know what life is going to have in store for us in the next minute. I'm so grateful to be able to live this lifestyle which means I'm living every minute that I do have.
Sandie